The Board of Directors of Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass approved the acquisition of two objects for the collection at the board meeting on April 27th:
Charles Savoie (b.1959), Wisconsin, USA. Zanfirico Goblet, 2013. Cane-worked blown glass. This is a museum purchase.
Vladimíra Klumpar (b.1954), Czech Republic. Origami in Topaz, 2009. Cast glass, cut and polished. 19 5/8 x 19 5/8 x 9 1/4 in. Gift of Vladimíra Klumpar, facilitated by Schantz Galleries in Massachusetts.
“Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass has been working with the glass community to continue to build its collections in ways that inform and expand representation of the evolution of glass art. These new acquisitions continue to add excellence and information on how contemporary artists reference historic methods of glassmaking to make new work,” remarked executive director, Jan Mirenda Smith.
Charles Savoie is a Wisconsin artist who has studied traditional Italian glass techniques extensively and uses them to create goblets in the manner of those created in the 16th century. His other works expand the sculptural qualities of glass using some of these traditional methods supported by cast bronze forms. He is known for his knowledge of glass chemistry and mastery of color using formulas he has engineered himself or that were handed down through the centuries in Italian glassmaking families. During his career he has studied with Italian masters, including Lino Tagliapietra and perfected the Italian glass making techniques.
Vladimira Klumpar is a contemporary female glass artist from the Czech Republic whose work is bold and substantial, using casting methods to create a solid sculpture. Expanding representation from the Czech Republic in the museum collections demonstrates the continuing importance of the glass art from this region, represented by the Mahler Collection of Germanic Glass Drinking Vessels in the museum collection. This work is a gift of the artist, facilitated through the efforts of Schantz Galleries in Massachusetts.
The museum staff is grateful to the collecting community for its generosity in advancing the mission of the museum to engage, excite and educate its audiences with glass.